This is a variation of our overnight oats base recipe. Overnight oats are great for breakfast and can make busy mornings a breeze. This apple pie overnight oats recipe tastes like a classic American dessert and is packed with nutrition!
Three Must-Know Cooking Skills
For recipe success, learn how to:
Culinary Tips for Apple Pie Overnight Oats
Want to make breakfast for the entire week or for the whole family? To speed up prep time, make a big batch in a bowl, then divide into individual servings.
For best flavor, toast the walnuts. If using whole walnuts, toast in the oven, then chop finely. If using chopped walnuts, toast on the stovetop.
- Oats: use old-fashioned or quick oats. Old-fashioned oats create a firm, chewy texture; quick oats create a soft, mushy texture. Do not use steel cut oats, as these have to be cooked for optimal digestion.
- Milk: use regular or dairy-free milk. Don’t have milk? You can also make overnight oats with water, but they won’t taste as creamy.
- Greek Yogurt: can substitute regular plain yogurt. Choose a fat content that works with your overall diet. Choose sugar-free varieties and sweeten to taste. Want to make your overnight oats vegan? Simply leave out the yogurt or substitute a plant-based yogurt.
- Maple Syrup: substitute any sweetener you like. You can also use jam, juice, or pureed fruit in place of sweetener.
- Apples: substitute dried apples or applesauce.
- Walnuts: substitute toasted pecans, almonds, or cashews.
- Cinnamon: substitute any variety of sweet spices – allspice, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, or nutmeg.
Feel free to add other mix-ins: chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut flakes, cocoa powder, nut butter, flavor extracts, etc.
Need some overnight oats recipe inspiration?
Use our base recipe as a guide, or check out some of our favorite overnight oats variations!
Overnight Oats are a Healthy Breakfast
The first meal of the day can affect how you feel for the rest of the day. A balanced breakfast should contain complex carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. The featured ingredients in this healthy overnight oats recipe are oats, Greek yogurt, apple, and walnuts. This recipe also contains natural sweetener, but far less than many breakfast cereals.
Oats of any variety are a good source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. Fiber is important for digestion, satiety, stable blood sugar, good cholesterol, and healthy gut bacteria. Complex carbohydrates are important for steady energy and focus. (1, 2)
Making overnight oats with Greek yogurt creates a creamy texture and taste. Plus, it adds a nutritional boost! Greek yogurt is a great source of protein, calcium, and gut-friendly probiotics.
Apples contains prebiotic fiber, vitamins, and minerals – important for digestion, steady energy, and metabolism.
Nuts of all varieties contain plant-based protein, fiber, and healthy fats that help you feel satisfied until your next meal. Walnuts also provide omega-3 fatty acids that promote brain and heart health.
Less Sugar than Breakfast Cereal
Overnight oats aren’t just for breakfast! They can also be a great snack or post-workout treat. Serve hot or cold.
How to Store Overnight Oats
Store overnight oats in the refrigerator. They’ll be ready to eat the next morning but can be stored for up to one week. The longer the oats are held in the refrigerator, the mushier they will become.
Want some more healthy breakfast recipes?
Check out these healthy base recipe breakfast ideas, then adjust to YOUR taste!
Overnight oats are great for breakfast and can make busy mornings a breeze. This apple pie overnight oats recipe is a healthy twist on an American classic!
- ½ cup old fashioned or quick oats
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (or to taste)
- Dash cinnamon
- ½ medium apple, diced (~½ cup)
- 2 Tablespoons toasted, chopped walnuts
Mix oats, milk, yogurt, maple syrup, and cinnamon in a bowl. Top with apple and toasted walnuts, or add them in the morning.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Toast the walnuts for best flavor.
Substitute maple syrup with any sweetener of your choice and adjust sweetness to taste.