This is one of our base recipes. While it wasn’t our original idea (this wrap comes straight from Tik Tok!), we see why it’s a viral success. It’s clever, easy, and adaptable to so many different flavors. If you love quesadillas and want a fun and new preparation method, try this Tik Tok wrap base recipe!
Must Know Cooking Skills
For recipe success, learn how to:
Learn how to slice and dice like a pro in our knife skills 101 course!
Culinary Tips for the Tik Tok Wrap Hack
Use an 8-10” tortilla to ensure the ingredients all fit. If you use a larger tortilla, increase the fillings!
Monitor the heat level as the wrap cooks. If the heat is too high, the tortilla will get too brown before the cheese melts.
Room temperature or warm fillings cook faster and will ensure that all the ingredients are evenly warmed through.
In a hurry? Microwave the assembled wrap for about 30 seconds to begin melting the cheese, then finish on the pan to toast the tortilla.
- Whole Wheat Tortilla: substitute corn or flour tortillas. Note that flour tortillas don’t provide the same whole grain benefits. Corn tortillas and smaller tortillas need to be stacked rather than folded.
- Spread: use guacamole, refried beans (unless used as a protein food), salsa, marinara, pesto, barbecue sauce, fruit preserves, hummus, soft goat cheese, or any other ingredient that you can spread.
- Vegetables: use shredded, diced, fresh, roasted, or sautéed vegetables or more beans. According to the Whole Life Plate, they are both a non-starchy vegetable and protein food!
- Protein: use any cooked shredded, ground, or diced meat, poultry, or fish; refried or whole beans; scrambled eggs; or a combination of any of these options.
- Shredded Cheese: Monterey jack and queso oaxaca are classic cheeses for quesadillas, but any cheese that melts well works. Mozzarella, cheddar, manchego, gruyere, fontina, gouda, and brie are all tasty options. You can also use a mix.
- Butter or Canola Oil: substitute avocado or olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil can also be used if the heat isn’t too high.
Base Recipe Variations
Remember that this is a base recipe, so the goal is for you to customize it to your taste! Change the toppings, spread, cheese, and condiments to whatever sounds good to you.
Consider different cuisines for more unique variations: Italian, Indian, BBQ, and more!
To make a plant-forward tik tok tortilla wrap, you don’t have to skip the meat – just mix it with some beans or vegetables.
Use these kitchen tools for recipe success:
Find all of our favorite kitchen tools here!
Is this Tik Tok Wrap Recipe Healthy?
Made with whole grain tortillas and a variety of fillings, this wrap can definitely be part of a balanced diet! Filling the quesadilla with beans and vegetables makes our version of this dish healthy in itself, or you can pair it with bean or veggie sides for a plant-forward meal.
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Whole grains are a good source of fiber, B vitamins, Vitamin E, trace minerals, and phytonutrients. Replacing refined grains (i.e. flour tortillas) with whole grains (i.e. whole wheat tortillas) may reduce the risk of developing chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
Beans of all varieties are a great source of plant-based protein. They are also high in complex carbohydrates and fiber which promote satiety and gut health. When purchasing canned beans, look for low-sodium varieties.
All vegetables provide fiber, vitamins, minerals, and disease-fighting phytonutrients. Aim to eat a variety of colors – each color provides a different benefit. The more vegetables in your quesadilla fillings, the healthier it will be!
Learn more about health benefits of different foods in our book, To Your Taste!
Serving Suggestions for Tik Tok Wraps
Cool wraps completely, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Leftover wraps can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap individual wraps in foil or plastic wrap, then place in a freezer-safe bag.
Tik Tok wraps taste best reheated on a griddle or skillet or in the oven, but the microwave will work in a pinch.
Want more easy lunch recipes?
Try out these favorites!
Tik Tok Wrap Base Recipe
- 1 whole wheat tortilla (8-10”)
- 2 teaspoons – 1 Tablespoon spread
- 2 Tablespoons – ¼ cup diced or shredded vegetables (fresh or cooked)
- 2 Tablespoons – ¼ cup protein
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- ½ teaspoon butter or canola oil
Condiments to YOUR taste
- Lime crema, sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Pickled jalapeños
- Preheat a griddle or skillet over medium low heat.
- Make one vertical cut from the center of the tortilla to the edge. Place spread on the bottom left quarter of the tortilla. Place vegetables on the top left quarter. Place protein food on the top right corner. Finally, place shredded cheese on the bottom right corner.
- To fold the wrap, fold the bottom left corner up to cover the top left. Then, fold the top left over the top right, and finally down over the bottom right. Lightly press down.
- Brush griddle or skillet with oil or melt butter. Once melted, add wrap. Cook until golden brown and toasty on one side and cheese is partially melted, 2-3 minutes. Carefully flip and cook on the other side for 2-3 more minutes or until tortilla is golden brown and toasty on both sides and cheese is melted.
- Carefully remove wrap from pan. Serve with condiments to your taste. Enjoy!