This is a variation of our side salad base recipe. If you are tired of boring side salads, try this strawberry feta salad recipe! Juicy strawberries paired with creamy feta and crunchy almonds make for the perfect summer salad. It’s written as a side salad, but if you are looking for an entree salad, feel free to add extra toppings for more staying power.
Must Know Cooking Skills
For recipe success, learn how to:
Culinary Tips for the Best Strawberry Feta Salad
For better texture, lightly chop or shred the leafy greens first. No one likes choking on spinach stems!
Wash strawberries just prior to dicing for best quality.
Toast the sliced almonds in a skillet for the best flavor.
If preparing the salad for more than one person, multiply the ingredients by your desired yield, toss all the ingredients together, then portion onto separate plates for easy serving.
If you have picky eaters, allow individuals to add toppings to their taste.
- Spinach: use any leafy green or a combination of several. Arugula, butterhead, baby kale, red or green leaf lettuce, romaine, and watercress are all great options. While iceberg lettuce technically works, it’s not as nutrient-rich or flavorful as other options.
- Strawberries: substitute any fruit, but if you are not using strawberries, it’s no longer a strawberry salad!
- Toasted Almonds: substitute any nut or seed. Use sliced, slivered, or chopped cashews, hazelnuts, macadamias, pecans, pistachios, or walnuts. If using seeds, choose pumpkin, sunflower, or hemp seeds. If raw, toast before adding for best flavor.
- Feta: goat, gorgonzola, and parmesan cheeses complement strawberries well. If making a vegan green salad, feel free to leave out or substitute with nutritional yeast for a similar cheesy flavor.
- Basil and Mint: substitute fresh Italian parsley, dill, oregano, or thyme. If you don’t have fresh herbs available, feel free to leave out. We don’t recommend fresh rosemary, as it is hard and best used in cooking. While dried herbs can offer some nutritional benefits, they taste best after cooking, so we don’t recommend using them in a green salad. If you do want to use them, add a small sprinkle to the dressing.
- Dressing/Vinaigrette: use a store bought variety with ingredients that you recognize, or make your own! We love strawberry feta salad with balsamic vinaigrette, but apple cider or red wine vinaigrettes are also delicious.
Strawberry Feta Salad Recipe Variations
Change up the nuts, herbs, and dressing or add additional vegetables to make different variations. Create a strawberry feta salad with pecans or a strawberry cucumber salad.
Turn this into a full entree salad by adding some protein, such as roasted chickpeas, shredded chicken, or baked salmon; fresh or roasted vegetables; and a cooked whole grain, such as quinoa or farro.
Want some salad flavor inspiration?
Use our side salad base recipe as a guide, then have fun exploring other flavors, ingredients, and textures!
Equipment Recommendations for this Easy Salad Recipe
Use these kitchen tools for recipe success:
- Whisk (if making your own vinaigrette)
- Salad Dressing Shaker Bottle (optional)
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Salad Spinner
Is this a Healthy Strawberry Salad Recipe?
This salad is full of healthy ingredients! Colorful strawberries and spinach, fresh herbs, almonds, and the vinaigrette are all full of flavor and nutrition.
Strawberries are rich in Vitamin C, fiber, and phytonutrients. These nutrients promote a healthy body and can help prevent chronic diseases.
Spinach is rich in essential vitamins and minerals including calcium and iron. It also contains phytonutrients that promote health and help fight diseases.
Nuts are a great source of plant-based protein and healthy fat. Almonds in particular are high in monounsaturated fats which are good for heart health.
A healthy vinaigrette dressing made from extra virgin olive oil and vinegar or citrus adds flavor and nutrition to salads. The fats and oils in vinaigrette help your body absorb certain nutrients in the salad, so avoid fat-free varieties. For optimal nutrition, make the vinaigrette yourself using pantry staple ingredients.
Learn more about health benefits of different foods and ingredients or in our book, To Your Taste!
Strawberry Spinach Salad Serving Suggestions
Make a full meal by serving this strawberry spinach salad alongside roasted sweet potatoes and simple turkey meatballs, with a filling salmon burger, or accompanied by Moroccan baked fish and roasted potatoes and carrots.
Salad Storage Tips
If preparing in advance, leave the dressing off until ready to serve. Salad dressing wilts spinach, making the stored salad unappetizing.
If you want to prepare the salad ahead of time but don’t want the spinach to wilt, consider purchasing a salad container that has a separate dressing container.
Want more salad recipes?
Try out these favorites!
Strawberry Feta Salad
- 2 cups loosely packed spinach leaves
- 2 Tablespoons diced strawberries
- 1-2 Tablespoons dressing or vinaigrette
- 1 Tablespoon toasted slivered or sliced almonds
- 1 Tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil and/or mint
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients on a bowl or plate. Have fun composing artistically or toss to combine. Enjoy!