This is a variation of our overnight oats base recipe. Overnight oats are great for breakfast and can make busy mornings a breeze. This chocolate peanut butter overnight oats recipe tastes like dessert and provides all of the nutrients needed for a healthy and filling breakfast.
Three Must-Know Cooking Skills
For recipe success, learn how to:
Culinary Tips for Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
Want to make breakfast for the entire week or for the whole family? To speed up prep time, make a big batch in a bowl, then divide into individual servings.
- Oats: use old-fashioned or quick oats. Old-fashioned oats create a firm, chewy texture; quick oats create a soft, mushy texture. Do not use steel cut oats; these have to be cooked for optimal digestion.
- Milk: use regular or dairy-free milk. Don’t have milk? You can make overnight oats with water, but they won’t taste as creamy.
- Greek Yogurt: substitute regular plain yogurt. Choose a fat content that works with your overall diet. Choose sugar-free varieties and sweeten to taste. To make your overnight oats vegan, leave out the yogurt or substitute a plant-based yogurt.
- Peanut Butter: substitute any other nut butter. Got a nut allergy? Make allergy-friendly overnight oats by leaving out the nut butter or replacing it with sunflower butter.
- Honey: substitute any sweetener you like.
Feel free to add other mix-ins: chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut flakes, cocoa powder, nut butter, flavor extracts, etc.
Need some overnight oats recipe inspiration?
Use our base recipe as a guide, or check out some of our favorite overnight oats variations!
Take a look at our stovetop oatmeal base recipe and its variations for even more ideas!
Use these kitchen tools for recipe success!
Overnight Oats are a Healthy Breakfast
The first meal of the day can affect how you feel for the rest of the day. A balanced breakfast should contain complex carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. The featured ingredients in this healthy overnight oats recipe are oats, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and banana. This recipe also contains natural sweetener, but far less than many breakfast cereals.
Oats are a whole grain and a good source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. Fiber is important for digestion, satiety, stable blood sugar, good cholesterol, and healthy gut bacteria. Complex carbohydrates are important for steady energy and focus. (1, 2)
Making overnight oats with Greek yogurt creates a creamy texture and taste. Plus, it adds a nutritional boost! Greek yogurt is a great source of protein, calcium, and gut-friendly probiotics.
Peanuts contain plant-based protein, fiber, and healthy fats. These nutrients help you feel satisfied until your next meal. Choose varieties that don’t contain added sugars or oils.
Refer to our ingredient guide for helpful tips when shopping for nut butter.
Bananas contains fiber, vitamins, and minerals – important for digestion, energy, and metabolism. Greenish bananas are firm and higher in prebiotic fiber. Brownish bananas are soft and higher in sugar, making them a bit sweeter. Either work in this recipe!
Less Sugar than Breakfast Cereal
PB Chocolate Overnight Oats Serving Suggestions
Overnight oats aren’t just for breakfast! They can also be a great snack or post-workout treat.
Serve hot or cold.
How to Store Overnight Oats
Store overnight oats in the refrigerator. They’ll be ready to eat the next morning. Overnight oats can be stored for up to one week in the fridge. The longer they oats are held in the refrigerator, the mushier they will become.
Want more healthy breakfast recipes?
Check out these healthy base recipe breakfast ideas, then adjust to YOUR taste!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats with Banana
- ½ cup old fashioned or quick oats
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon mini dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon honey (or to taste)
- ½ medium banana, sliced (~½ cup)
- Mix oats, milk, yogurt, chocolate chips, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and honey in a bowl. Top with banana or add it in the morning.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Enjoy cold!