This is a variation of our greek yogurt smoothie base recipe. A coffee protein smoothie is a great way to start your morning, recover from a workout, or satisfy a craving for something cold, creamy, and sweet! This coffee protein shake recipe is boosted with nut butter and flaxseeds to give you even more satisfying protein power!
Must-Know Cooking Skill
For recipe success, learn how to:
Culinary Tips for the Best Coffee Banana Protein Smoothie
Don’t freeze bananas with the peel on; they’re a mess to unpeel! Remove the peel, break into thirds or quarters, freeze flat on parchment paper for 1-2 hours, then place in a freezer safe bag or container until ready to use.
“Should I add protein powder to my smoothie?” We don’t recommend it! By adding a few simple ingredients to your morning smoothie, you can make a coffee protein shake without protein powder that satisfies your protein needs and avoid expensive protein powders with questionable ingredients!
If you want to make a banana coffee protein smoothie for breakfast and are usually crunched for time in the morning, place all of the non-frozen ingredients in your blender’s jar and place it in the fridge the night before. Add the frozen ingredients in the morning and blend!
If your greek yogurt protein smoothie is too thick after blending, add more liquid. If it is too thin, add more fruit or ice.
Prefer a stronger coffee flavor? Add an extra ½ teaspoon of instant coffee powder.
- Banana: substitute avocado for a similarly creamy texture and a boost of healthy fats
- Frozen Banana: substitute frozen avocado, blueberries, cherries, strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries. We find these fruits compliment the coffee flavor best.
- Greek Yogurt: substitute regular plain yogurt, kefir, or a dairy-free variety to make a vegan coffee protein smoothie.
- Milk or Milk Alternative: use cow’s milk or soy milk for a higher protein smoothie. Learn about plant-based milk vs cow’s milk in this article.
- Nut Butter: use any natural variety. Make a coffee peanut butter protein smoothie, or use almond butter, sunflower butter, or whatever else sounds good to you!
- Ground Flax Seeds: add or substitute chia seeds, hemp hearts, or walnuts for a protein and healthy fat boost! If you have a high power blender, whole flax seeds will also work.
- Instant Coffee: substitute instant espresso powder or a shot of espresso. Feel free to substitute decaf instant coffee if you prefer a lower caffeine version.
- Leafy Greens: use spinach or kale. If you are unsure about the flavor of greens in your smoothies, start with spinach. Spinach has a milder flavor than heartier greens like kale. Do not use arugula or mustard greens.
Greek Yogurt Protein Smoothie Variations
Add any other ingredients of your choice, such as spices, natural flavor extracts, oats, or coconut.
Add 2 teaspoons cocoa powder to make a chocolate coffee protein smoothie.
Need some smoothie recipe inspiration?
Use our greek yogurt smoothie base recipe as a guide to make it your own or try out these other variation!
Which Blender is Best for Smoothies?
Is this Instant Coffee Protein Smoothie Healthy?
While eating whole fruit is normally best, a smoothie can be a great way to get lots of fruits and/or vegetables in one easy serving. The featured ingredients in this smoothie recipe are fruit, Greek yogurt, nuts, seeds, coffee, and leafy greens!
Fresh & Frozen Fruit
Both fresh and frozen fruit is healthy. Fruit contains fiber, water, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. All of these nutrients help your body fight, prevent, and manage diseases. Aim to include a variety of colors throughout the week.
Greek yogurt is a great source of B vitamins, calcium, and probiotics. It is also higher in protein than regular yogurt, making this smoothie filling and satisfying.
We recommend buying plain varieties in order to avoid added sugars and organic, if you can afford it. Select a fat content that works with your overall diet. If you tend to consume a lot of foods high in saturated fat, a low-fat or fat-free variety is your best choice. If you limit saturated fat in your diet, full-fat varieties are okay.
Nut Butter & Flax Seeds
Nuts and seeds contain plant-based protein and healthy fats. These nutrients help you feel satisfied. Choose natural nut butters with as few ingredients as possible (i.e. just nuts and salt). Flaxseeds are a great source of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids. These fats promote brain and heart health.
Coffee contains essential nutrients including riboflavin, pantothenic acid, manganese, potassium, magnesium and niacin. It is also rich in disease-fighting antioxidants and phytochemicals, which help lower the risk of different cancers, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, and Type 2 diabetes. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Because coffee contains caffeine – a stimulant – it is important to limit overconsumption, as high doses can increase anxiety, disrupt sleep, and cause gastrointestinal distress. Extremely high doses of caffeine can even be toxic. (6)
Leafy green veggies are rich in essential vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that promote health and help fight diseases. Blending spinach into a greek yogurt smoothie is an easy way to help promote your health.
For more information about which ingredients are best, check out our ingredient guide.
Coffee Protein Smoothie Serving Suggestions
This coffee smoothie with Greek yogurt can be a meal on its own or can be an accompaniment to a healthy breakfast! Pair with our overnight oats, energy bites, whole wheat muffins, or granola for a satisfying meal.
Will Smoothies Keep in the Fridge?
Keep leftovers in the fridge and enjoy the next day. They can hold for longer than a day in the fridge but often will start to separate. Simply shake before drinking!
Want more delicious breakfast recipes?
Try out these favorite base recipes, and as always, adjust to YOUR taste!
Coffee Protein Smoothie
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large fresh ripe banana (~1 cup)
- 1 frozen large banana
- 1 Tablespoon nut butter
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 cup lightly packed leafy greens (optional)
- 6-8 ice cubes (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree. Enjoy!