This is a variation of our overnight oats base recipe. Blueberry overnight oats are great for breakfast and can make busy mornings a breeze. Although we have specific ingredients listed below, this recipe is easily customizable to your taste. Read on for ideas to make the best blueberry oats!
Three Must-Know Cooking Skills
For recipe success, learn how to:
Culinary Tips for Simple Blueberry Overnight Oats
Want to make overnight oats for the entire week or for the whole family? To speed up prep time, make a big batch of overnight oats in a bowl, then distribute into individual servings.
For best flavor, toast slivered almonds in a skillet on the stovetop.
- Oats: use old-fashioned or quick oats. Old-fashioned oats create a firm, chewy texture, whereas quick oats create a soft, mushy texture. Do not use steel cut oats, as these have to be cooked for optimal digestion.
- Milk: use regular or dairy-free milk. You can also make overnight oats with water, but they won’t taste as creamy.
- Greek Yogurt: can substitute regular plain yogurt. Choose a fat content that works with your overall diet. Choose sugar-free varieties and sweeten to your taste. To make your blueberry overnight oats vegan, leave out the yogurt or substitute a plant-based yogurt.
- Honey: substitute maple syrup, agave, or brown sugar. You can also use jam, juice, or pureed fruit.
- Blueberries: substitute dried or frozen blueberries. If using frozen blueberries, note that they might turn your oats purple! You can also add or replace any other dried or fresh fruit.
- Almonds: substitute any chopped, toasted nuts. Walnuts, pecans, or cashews would all make great substitutions. Nut butters, such as almond or peanut butter, would also make delicious additions or substitutions to this blueberry overnight oats recipe.
Feel free to add other mix-ins or toppings: chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut flakes, cocoa powder, nut butter, flavor extracts, etc.
If making blueberry overnight oats with chia seeds, mix them in the night before rather than adding them in the morning. Chia seeds absorb liquid, so you may also need to add a splash of extra milk to the recipe.
Add sliced or mashed banana to make blueberry banana overnight oats, or add some fresh lemon zest to make lemon blueberry overnight oats!
Need some overnight oats recipe inspiration?
Use our base recipe as a guide, or check out some of our favorite overnight oats variations!
Take a look at our stovetop oatmeal base recipe and its variations for even more ideas!
Use these kitchen tools for recipe success!
Blueberry Overnight Oats are a Healthy Breakfast
The first meal of the day can affect how you feel for the rest of the day. A balanced breakfast should contain fiber-rich carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. The featured ingredients in this healthy blueberry overnight oats recipe are oats, Greek yogurt, fresh blueberries, and almonds. This recipe also contains a touch of honey, but a much lower amount of added sugar than most breakfast cereals.
Oats are a whole grain and are a good source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. Fiber is important for digestion, satiety, stable blood sugar, good cholesterol, and healthy gut bacteria. Complex carbohydrates are important for steady energy and focus. (1, 2)
Making overnight oats with Greek yogurt creates a creamy texture and taste. Plus, it adds a nutritional boost! Greek yogurt is a great source of vitamins, protein, calcium, and gut-friendly probiotics.
Blueberries are rich in nutrients and phytochemicals which may promote cardiovascular health, decrease cancer risk, and improve cognitive function. (3, 4, 5)
Almonds contain plant-based protein, fiber, and healthy monounsaturated fats. These nutrients promote heart health and help you feel satisfied until your next meal.
Less Sugar than Cold Breakfast Cereal
Many breakfast cereals contain large amounts of added sugars that don’t support health. By making your own homemade blueberry overnight oats, you get to control the amount of added sugar that you eat!
These easy blueberry overnight oats aren’t just for breakfast! They can also be a great snack or post-workout treat.
Serve hot or cold.
How to Store Overnight Oats
Store overnight oats in the refrigerator. They’ll be ready to eat the next morning but can be stored for up to one week. The longer the oats are held in the refrigerator, the mushier they will become.
If storing for more than a few days, add fresh blueberries in the morning for best taste and texture.
Want more healthy breakfast recipes?
Check out these healthy base recipe breakfast ideas, then adjust to YOUR taste!
Whole Wheat Muffins Base Recipe
Greek Yogurt Smoothie Base Recipe
Whole Grain Pancakes Base Recipe
Baked Oatmeal Cups Base Recipe
Blueberry Overnight Oats
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon honey (or to taste)
- Dash cinnamon
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons toasted, slivered almonds
- Mix oats, milk, yogurt, honey, and cinnamon in a bowl. Top with blueberries and toasted almonds, or add them in the morning.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Enjoy cold!