This is one of our base recipes. Kale chips are a delicious and nutritious snack, and in our opinion, store bought varieties are way overpriced for what they are! Simple to make and easy to customize to your taste, we set out to make a kale chips recipe that would be affordable and just as good as (if not better!) than store bought. Give this recipe a try, then let us know what you think!
Culinary Tips for the Best Kale Chips Recipe
Once you know how to make kale chips at home, you’ll never buy store bought again!
Be sure that the kale leaves are thoroughly dry before baking, otherwise you’ll end up with soggy kale chips – not very appetizing!
Low and slow keeps the chips from burning, and dries them out. Although we typically recommend roasting vegetables at high temperatures, the lower temperature recommended in this recipe makes them less likely to burn. Burnt kale tastes bitter, which can be especially unappetizing if you are just learning to like kale!
If using additional spices, whisk together with oil in a large bowl, then add the kale and toss to coat. Adding the spices directly onto the pan can cause them to burn and turn bitter.
- Kale: use green or purple curly kale or lacinato kale.
- Oil: use avocado, canola, or extra virgin olive oil.
- Spices: use any single or combination of savory spices, dried herbs, or seasoning blends. Chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and turmeric are all great single spice choices. Garam masala, taco seasoning, curry powder, or Italian seasoning are all tasty blend options. Use your creativity, and adjust flavors to your taste!
Remember that this is a base recipe, so the goal is for you to customize it to your taste!
Need some recipe inspiration?
Try out these tasty flavor ideas!
- Ranch kale chips: add ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon onion powder.
- Spicy kale chips: add ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder.
- Cheesy parmesan kale chips: sprinkle uncooked chips with 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan.
You only need a few kitchen tools for this easy recipe!
Are kale chips healthy?
This base recipe is packed with healthful ingredients! Healthy oils and kale provide your body with loads of nutritional benefits.
Kale is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family. It is rich in essential vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients that promote health and help fight diseases, especially cancer and heart disease. (1)
This recipe can be made with olive, avocado, or canola oil. All of these oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats which promote heart health and healthy blood flow. This oil also helps your body absorb the nutrients in kale.
Learn more about the benefits of using food as medicine in this article!
Baked Kale Chips Serving Suggestions
Eat crispy kale chips on their own for a tasty snack, or serve as part of a balanced lunch or dinner.
Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week for best quality.
Want more delicious vegetable recipes?
Try out these favorites!
Kale Chips Base Recipe
- 1 head of kale (~½ pound)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon spice(s) (optional)
- Separate kale leaves and wash thoroughly. Shake to dry.
- Remove leaves from stem and tear into 1” pieces. Dry leaves using a salad spinner or spread on towels to dry.
- Once leaves are dry, preheat oven to 275ºF.
- Toss with oil and spread out on sheet pans in a single layer. Use two pans if needed. Sprinkle with salt. Do not overcrowd the pan or the kale will steam rather than crisp up!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crisp. Allow to cool slightly. Enjoy!