This is a variation of our overnight oats base recipe. Chocolate cherry overnight oats are great for breakfast and can make busy mornings a breeze. We love this chocolate cherry almond overnight oats recipe because we think that it tastes like dessert for breakfast!
Overnight Oats are a Healthy Breakfast
The first meal of the day can affect how you feel for the rest of the day. A balanced breakfast should contain fiber-rich complex carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. The featured ingredients in this healthy overnight oats recipe are oats, Greek yogurt, dried cherries, and almonds.
Oats of any variety are a good source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. Fiber is important for digestion, satiety, stable blood sugar, good cholesterol, and healthy gut bacteria. Complex carbohydrates are important for steady energy and focus (1, 2).
Making overnight oats with Greek yogurt creates a creamy texture and taste. Plus, it adds a nutritional boost! Greek Yogurt is a great source of protein, calcium, and gut-friendly probiotics.
Nuts of all varieties contain plant-based protein, fiber, and healthy fats. These nutrients help you feel satisfied until your next meal.
Cherries contain carbohydrates, vitamins, and antioxidants. For optimal nutrition, choose sugar-free varieties.
Culinary Tips for Overnight Oats
Want to make a quick and healthy breakfast for the entire week or for the whole family? To speed up prep time, make a big batch in a bowl, then distribute into individual servings.
- Oats: use old-fashioned or quick oats. Old-fashioned oats create a firm, chewy texture, whereas quick oats create a soft, mushy texture. Do not use steel cut oats, as these have to be cooked for optimal digestion.
- Milk: use regular or dairy-free milk. Don’t have milk? You can also make overnight oats with water, but they won’t taste as creamy.
- Greek Yogurt: can substitute regular plain yogurt. Choose a fat content that works for your overall diet. Choose sugar-free varieties and sweeten to your taste. Want to make your overnight oats vegan? Simply leave out the yogurt or substitute a plant-based yogurt.
- Chocolate Chips: can substitute cacao nibs or vegan chocolate chips.
- Almond Extract: can substitute vanilla extract.
- Dried Cherries: can substitute any dried fruit. If using larger fruits, such as dried figs, apricots, or dates, chop into smaller pieces.
- Sliced Almonds: can substitute any nut of your choice. For best flavor, toast the almonds. If using whole almonds, toast in the oven, then chop finely. If using sliced almonds, toast on the stovetop.
Feel free to add other mix-ins of your choosing: chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut flakes, cocoa powder, nut butter, etc.
Need some recipe inspiration?
Check out some of our favorite overnight oats variations!
Overnight oats aren’t just for breakfast! They can also be a great snack or post-workout treat. Serve hot or cold.
How to Store Overnight Oats
Store overnight oats in the refrigerator. They’ll be ready to eat the next morning but can be stored for up to one week. The longer the oats are held in the refrigerator, the mushier they will become.
Want some more healthy breakfast recipes?
Check out these easy, healthy recipe ideas!
This chocolate cherry overnight oats recipe features chocolate chips, dried cherries, almond extract, and almonds. It's like dessert for breakfast!
- ½ cup old fashioned or quick oats
- ½ cup milk (may sub almond or soy milk)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon mini dark chocolate chips
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon dried cherries
- 1 Tablespoon sliced almonds
Mix oats, milk, yogurt, chocolate chips, and almond extract in a bowl. Top with dried cherries and sliced almonds, or add them in the morning.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Don’t have almond extract? Feel free to substitute vanilla extract.
For best flavor, toast the almonds.