This is a variation of our overnight oats base recipe. Chocolate cherry overnight oats are great for breakfast and can make busy mornings a breeze. We love this chocolate cherry almond overnight oats recipe because we think that it tastes like dessert for breakfast!
Three Must-Know Cooking Skills
For recipe success, learn how to:
Culinary Tips for Cherry Chocolate Overnight Oats
Want to make a quick and healthy breakfast for the entire week or for the whole family? To speed up prep time, make a big batch in a bowl, then distribute into individual servings.
For best flavor, toast the almonds. If using whole almonds, toast in the oven, then chop finely. If using sliced almonds, toast on the stovetop.
- Oats: use old-fashioned or quick oats. Old-fashioned oats create a firm, chewy texture, whereas quick oats create a soft, mushy texture. Do not use steel cut oats, as these have to be cooked for optimal digestion.
- Milk: use regular or dairy-free milk. Don’t have milk? You can also make overnight oats with water, but they won’t taste as creamy.
- Greek Yogurt: substitute regular plain yogurt. Choose a fat content that works for your overall diet. Choose sugar-free varieties and sweeten to your taste. Don’t have yogurt? Simply leave it out. Substitute a plant-based yogurt to make your overnight oats vegan.
- Chocolate Chips: substitute cacao nibs or vegan chocolate chips.
- Almond Extract: substitute vanilla extract.
- Dried Cherries: substitute any dried or fresh fruit. If using larger dried fruits, such as figs, apricots, or dates, chop into smaller pieces.
- Sliced Almonds: substitute any nut of your choice – cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, or walnuts.
Feel free to add other mix-ins or toppings: chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut flakes, cocoa powder, nut butter, fresh fruit, etc.
Need some overnight oats recipe inspiration?
Use our base recipe as a guide, or check out some of our favorite overnight oats variations!
Take a look at our stovetop oatmeal base recipe and its variations for even more ideas!
Use these kitchen tools for recipe success!
Chocolate Cherry Overnight Oats are a Healthy Breakfast
The first meal of the day can affect how you feel for the rest of the day. A balanced breakfast should contain fiber-rich complex carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. The featured ingredients in this healthy overnight oats recipe are oats, Greek yogurt, dried cherries, and almonds. This recipe also contains a touch of sweetness from dark chocolate chip, but a much lower amount of added sugar than most breakfast cereals.
Oats of any variety are a good source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. Fiber is important for digestion, satiety, stable blood sugar, good cholesterol, and healthy gut bacteria. Complex carbohydrates are important for steady energy and focus. (1, 2)
Making overnight oats with Greek yogurt creates a creamy texture and taste. Plus, it adds a nutritional boost! Greek Yogurt is a great source of protein, calcium, and gut-friendly probiotics.
Cherries contain carbohydrates, vitamins, and antioxidants. Most dried cherries contain some added sugar, so we left added sweeteners out of this recipe.
Almonds contain plant-based protein, fiber, and healthy monounsaturated fats. These nutrients promote heart health and help you feel satisfied until your next meal.
Less Sugar than Cold Breakfast Cereal
Overnight oats aren’t just for breakfast! They can also be a great snack or post-workout treat.
Serve hot or cold.
How to Store Overnight Oats
Store overnight oats in the refrigerator. They’ll be ready to eat the next morning but can be stored for up to one week. The longer the oats are held in the refrigerator, the mushier they will become.
Want more healthy breakfast recipes?
Check out these healthy base recipe breakfast ideas, then adjust to YOUR taste!
Chocolate Cherry Overnight Oats with Almonds
- ½ cup old fashioned or quick oats
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons dried cherries
- 1 Tablespoon sliced almonds
- Mix oats, milk, yogurt, chocolate chips, and almond extract in a bowl.
- Top with dried cherries and sliced almonds, or add them in the morning.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Enjoy cold!