Seasonal produce is delicious, colorful, and oftentimes, inexpensive. The veggies in these easy Vegetarian Tostadas make a perfect summer meal that your family is sure to love. This is also a great meal that kids can help prepare – older kids can help dice the vegetables and little ones can have fun mashing the black beans and building their own tostadas!
A can of beans, corn tortillas, & salsa build a basic tostada. Add some sautéed summer veggies to create our easy flavorful Vegetarian Tostadas!
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon + 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup corn, canned, frozen (thawed), or fresh
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (~1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (~1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2-15 ounce cans low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Lay tortillas on a cookie sheet in a single layer (do not overlap). Using 1 teaspoon of oil and a pastry brush, brush both sides of each tortilla. Bake 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time.*
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add remaining oil and then spices. Cook for 30 seconds or until spices are fragrant. Add corn, red bell pepper, and zucchini.
- While veggies are cooking, place beans and salsa in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture begins to simmer and beans are heated through. Turn off heat and mash beans to almost the consistency of refried beans.
Once veggies are tender (~10 minutes), add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Build tostadas by spreading a layer of beans on each shell. Top with veggie mixture and desired garnishes. Enjoy!
*Alternatively, place one tortilla at a time on a microwave safe plate or paper towel. Cook for one minute, flip to other side, and cook for another minute or until crisp.