This is a variation of our kefir smoothie base recipe. Fall is the season of all things pumpkin. This pumpkin pie smoothie with kefir is a great way to start your morning, fuel a workout, or satisfy a craving for something cold, creamy, and sweet!
Must-Know Cooking Skill
For recipe success, learn how to:
Culinary Tips for the Best Pumpkin Smoothie
If you want to make smoothies for breakfast and are in a time crunch, place all of the non-frozen ingredients in your blender’s jar and place it in the fridge the night before. Add the frozen ingredients in the morning and blend!
If your smoothie is too thick after blending, add more liquid. If it is too thin, add more fruit or ice. Note that adding more of the optional ingredients will thicken the smoothie.
- Kefir: substitute 1/2 cup plain Greek or regular yogurt + 1/2 cup milk/milk alternative for 1 cup kefir.
- Frozen Banana: substitute fresh banana, but note that the smoothie won’t be quite as thick and creamy. You can also substitute frozen avocado for a similarly creamy texture, but you will likely have to add some sweetener to taste.
- Pumpkin Puree: substitute roasted sweet potato, butternut squash puree, or sweet potato puree.
- Nut Butter: substitute peanut, cashew, sunflower, soy nut, or any other variety of your choosing. Choose natural varieties (just nuts and salt) for optimal nutrition.
- Pumpkin Spice: substitute apple spice or cinnamon, or add a tiny pinch each of cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Optional Oats: use old-fashioned or quick oats. Do not use steel cut oats, as these need to be cooked.
- Optional Seeds: use chia, hemp, or ground flaxseeds.
We love buying our spices from The Spice House. Click on the picture below to view & try out hundreds of flavorful spices and herbs!
If the pumpkin smoothie is too tangy for your taste, add some honey or agave.
To make a vegan pumpkin smoothie, substitute the kefir with a plant-based yogurt or soy milk.
If you want to turn this into a pumpkin smoothie bowl, reduce the kefir by half, then top with granola, nuts, seeds, mini chocolate chips, and/or more fruit.
“Should I add protein powder to my smoothie?” We don’t recommend it! By adding a few simple ingredients to your morning smoothie, you can satisfy your protein needs and avoid expensive protein powders with questionable ingredients!
For a higher protein pumpkin smoothie, add the optional tablespoon of chia seeds, hemp seeds, and/or flax seeds.
Need some kefir smoothie recipe inspiration?
Use our kefir smoothie base recipe for inspiration to make it your own, or make some of our favorite variations!
Which blender is best for smoothies?
Is this a healthy pumpkin smoothie?
Of course! While eating whole fruit is normally best, a smoothie can be a great way to get lots of fruits and/or vegetables in one easy serving. This healthy pumpkin pie smoothie recipe features kefir, pumpkin, and almond butter.
What is kefir? Kefir is a fermented milk beverage – basically a pourable yogurt drink. It is high in probiotic cultures, which makes for a happy gut. We recommend buying plain varieties to avoid added sugars and organic, if you can afford it. Using kefir in this recipe makes it a great probiotic smoothie.
Pumpkin is a great source of beta carotene, fiber, and potassium. These nutrients promote immune function, gut health, good cholesterol, and normal blood pressure. Be sure to use pure pumpkin puree and not canned pumpkin pie filling, as this contains a lot of added sugar.
Almond butter contains plant-based protein and healthy monounsaturated fats which are good for heart health. These nutrients help you feel satisfied until your next meal.
For more information about ingredient recommendations, check out our ingredient guide.
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Serving Suggestions
This pumpkin banana smoothie can be a meal on its own or can be an accompaniment to a healthy breakfast. Pair with our overnight oats, energy bites, whole wheat muffins, or granola for a satisfying meal.
Will smoothies keep in the fridge?
Keep leftovers in the fridge and enjoy the next day. They can hold for longer than a day but will often begin to separate. Shake before drinking.
Want more healthy pumpkin recipes?
Check out these easy, healthy breakfast ideas!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- 1 cup plain kefir
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 frozen large banana
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin spice
Additions to YOUR taste
- ¼ cup old fashioned or quick oats
- 1 Tablespoon chia, hemp, or ground flax seeds
- 6-8 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Enjoy!