Tired of plain old ham and cheese sandwiches? Need some new ideas for yours or your kids’ lunches? Look no further! These hummus veggie wraps are a perfect recipe for quick and healthy lunches!
Three Must-Know Cooking Skills
For recipe success, learn how to:
Culinary Tips for the Best Hummus Wraps
When dicing the vegetables, think about the final product. Large pieces may be hard to chew, so we recommend finely diced pieces for this recipe.
Don’t worry about being exact with the veggie measurements. It’s okay to eyeball it in this recipe. However, keep in mind that the more veggies you add to the tortilla, the harder it will be to roll up!
Don’t spread the hummus all the way to the edge of the tortilla, or the hummus will squeeze out when rolled up.
To make hummus pinwheels, simply use a serrated knife to slice the tortilla into rounds (~1 inch between each slice). Be sure to roll the wrap tightly before cutting. Placing the uncut wrap in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before slicing can help the pinwheels hold together better.
- Whole Wheat Tortilla: substitute your favorite tortilla. We do not recommend corn tortillas, as these are too small to roll up. However, if you want to make a hummus quesadilla, corn tortillas work fine.
- Hummus: use any flavor of homemade or store-bought hummus.
- Feta Cheese: substitute Cotija cheese, goat cheese, shredded cheese, or any other crumbly variety.
- Red Bell Pepper: substitute orange or yellow bell pepper. You can also use green bell pepper, but note that it has a stronger and less sweet flavor.
- Cucumber: use regular or English. Leave the peel on for optimal nutrition, but note that some regular cucumber peels have a hard or bitter peel. Taste before adding – especially if you have picky eaters!
- Avocado: substitute dollops of guacamole.
Feel free to add any other veggies to your taste, but remember that the more you add, the harder it will be to roll up!
Make hummus pesto veggie wraps by spreading a tablespoon of pesto in with the hummus.
Make hummus grilled veggie wraps by using grilled red bell peppers and any other grilled veggies of your choice.
Add a sprinkling of fresh, chopped herbs, such as parsley, cilantro, or basil for herbed hummus wraps.
Leave out the feta to make these vegan hummus veggie wraps.
No fancy equipment required for this recipe! Just a few kitchen essentials:
Health Benefits of Hummus Wraps
We love a quick and easy plant-forward lunch recipe. These vegetarian wraps are loaded with nutrients that promote a healthy body: whole grains, chickpeas, and lots of veggies!
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Whole wheat flour is a good source of fiber, B vitamins, Vitamin E, trace minerals, and phytochemicals. Replacing refined grains (i.e. white flour) with whole grains (i.e. whole wheat flour) may reduce the risk of developing chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. (1) When purchasing whole wheat tortillas, choose varieties with ingredients that you can see, recognize, and pronounce.
Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans
Beans of all varieties are a great source of plant-based protein. They are also high in complex carbohydrates and fiber. These nutrients are all important for steady energy, satiety, blood flow, disease prevention, and digestion. And in case you were wondering, chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing.
All vegetables provide fiber, vitamins, minerals, and disease fighting phytochemicals. Aim to eat a variety of colors – each color provides a different benefit for our bodies. This Mediterranean hummus pizza is full of different colors!
For more information on the best ingredients to use, download our FREE ingredient guide!
Store hummus wraps in the refrigerator for no more than 2 days to prevent the tortilla from getting soggy. If packing a lunch and you don’t have a refrigerator available, pack an ice pack to keep the wrap cool.
Want more healthy lunch ideas?
Try out these easy base recipes, then customize to your taste!
Hummus Veggie Wrap
- 1 whole wheat tortilla (8-10 inches)
- 2 Tablespoons hummus
- 1 Tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 1 Tablespoon diced red bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon diced cucumber
- 1 Tablespoon diced avocado
- Spread hummus to cover one side of the whole wheat tortilla, but not entirely to the edge.
- Sprinkle remaining ingredients on top.
- Roll it up! Cut into pinwheels if desired. The wraps will be easier to cut into pinwheels if chilled for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy!