This is a variation of our instant pot dried beans base recipe. Have you ever been afraid to purchase dried beans because you don’t know how to cook them? “How much water do I use? How long do I cook dried beans? What should I add to improve their flavor?” In this chipotle black beans Instant Pot recipe, we teach you how to make flavorful, creamy black beans in a pressure cooker – no pre-soaking required!
Three Must-Know Cooking Skills
For recipe success, learn how to:
Culinary Tips for the Best Instant Pot Black Beans
How many cups of black beans are in a pound? There are ~2 cups of dry beans in a pound, but it’s okay to not be exact! As long as you have enough water to cover the beans by ~1 inch, you don’t have to be precise with the amount of beans you use.
Rinse and sort the black beans in a colander before cooking in order to remove damaged beans and debris.
Do you have to soak dry beans before cooking in an Instant Pot? Nope! This is a no-soak Instant pot dried beans recipe. The high pressure helps break through the bean’s plant structure. However, if you still want or like to soak your beans before cooking, keep in mind that cooking time will decrease significantly.
How long does it take to cook dried beans in an Instant Pot? This recipe calls for 45 minutes of cooking time plus 10 minutes of natural release time. This will create creamy, tender beans. However, if you prefer firmer beans, decrease the cooking time to 40 minutes. Check out Instant Pot’s helpful guide for cooking times. This guide also provides recommendations for how to cook soaked beans in the Instant Pot.
- Black Beans: substitute pinto beans.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: substitute regular olive, canola, or avocado oil.
- Onion: use yellow, white, or red onion or shallot.
- Garlic: substitute 1 ½ teaspoons pre-minced garlic, 1 ½ teaspoons garlic flakes, ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder.
- Chipotle in Adobo: substitute 1 teaspoon chipotle powder.
- Water: substitute some or all of the water with chicken or vegetable broth.
- Kosher Salt: We use Morton kosher salt. If using Diamond Crystal kosher salt, use 1 ½ teaspoons. If you use table salt, use slightly less than 1 teaspoon.
- Lime Juice: substitute apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar.
We like how the chipotle peppers transform this into a tasty smoky chipotle black bean recipe. If you don’t like the heat, decrease the amount of chipotle peppers, or just use 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce. If you want more heat, add more peppers!
Feel free to mix in other herbs and spices for a touch more flavor and nutrition. Dried oregano, cumin, and chili powder, would all make great additions.
Want to make chipotle black beans vegan or vegetarian? Simply use vegetable broth or water as the cooking liquid.
If you don’t have a pressure cooker but still want to make a pot of restaurant style black beans, use our stovetop dried beans base recipe. Then check out our video on how to cook dried beans on the stovetop. Use the same aromatic vegetables in this recipe or add other ingredients of your choosing.
Want some Instant Pot bean recipe inspiration?
Use our base recipe as a guide, or check out these other tasty variations!
Equipment Recommendations for Cooking Dried Black Beans
The recipe title says it all; in order to cook dried beans in a pressure cooker, you will need a functioning Instant Pot. We like the six-quart option best. Be sure to read the instructions thoroughly before using to ensure safety and proper function.
You will also need:
Health Benefits of Black Beans
Are chipotle black beans healthy? Definitely! These instant pot vegetarian black beans are sure to help you along your way to optimal health! Beans are one of our favorite foods to recommend as part of a healthy plant-forward diet because they are packed with high quality nutrients: plant-based protein, complex carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. These nutrients promote gut health, decrease risk of developing heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, and promote a healthy weight. All of the world’s longest lived populations consume beans daily.
Check out our Food as Medicine article to learn more about these health benefits.
Serving Suggestions for Smoky Chipotle Black Beans
There are nearly endless ways that you can serve or use these black beans. Serve instant pot black beans with rice or another whole grain, then top with avocado, Greek yogurt crema or sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro, and shredded cheese for a filling and satisfying meal. Or mash the beans for a tasty spread on wraps, quesadillas, or tostadas.
Storage Tips for Leftover Black Beans
Once cooked, allow the beans to cool completely before placing in an airtight container and storing in the refrigerator. Keep the cooking liquid to keep the beans tender. Chipotle black beans hold their quality in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Cooked beans freeze well too. To freeze, cool completely, then place in a freezer-safe container(s).
Want more healthy recipes with beans?
Add these bean-based recipes to your recipe rotation!
Chipotle Black Beans – Instant Pot Variation
- 1 pound dry black beans (~2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (~1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (~1 ½ teaspoons)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced + 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups water or low-sodium broth or stock (~1 inch above top of beans)
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Place beans in a colander and rinse under cold water. Pick out any rocks or beans that are broken or shriveled.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add oil. Once oil is simmering, add the onion and sauté until translucent, ~5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add the beans, chipotle, bay leaf, salt, and water. Set Instant Pot to Bean/Chili setting and turn valve to seal. Pressure cook for 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then turn to release the pressure valve. Wait for the valve to drop before opening. Add lime juice, additional salt to taste, and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!