Have you ever needed beans for a recipe but didn’t have time to soak them overnight? No problem! Cooking dried beans from scratch can be quick with this simple stovetop skill. This video demonstrates how to cook dried beans after soaking them for less than one hour.
This quick way of soaking dried beans still provides all of the nutritional benefits of traditional overnight soaking but without the forethought required!
Helpful Tips for Soaking and Cooking Beans
- Discard the soaking water before cooking
- Rinse the beans before and after soaking
- Once soaked, cook them long enough so that they’re no longer hard – this may help prevent digestive discomfort (1)
- Bean cooking times will vary depending on the type of bean and intensity of heat
- If you will not be using the beans in another recipe that requires cooking, make sure that they are thoroughly cooked to your textural liking
Once cooked, use the beans in this easy four bean chili recipe or our non-refried beans base recipe. And if you haven’t already, be sure to check out how to cook dried beans using the traditional overnight soak method too!